- From Marahau to Bark Bay, Earth, Sea & Sky packs a lot into one day.
- Experience the famous Falls River Swing Bridge by foot and an afternoon paddling in the Astrolabe.
- Start the morning with a Water Taxi to Torrent Bay.
- Walking unguided from Torrent Bay the track climbs steadily, then sidles around two valleys and above an inlet to Falls River, which is crossed by a suspension bridge. The 47 metre bridge is a real highlight of this trip.
- Beyond the river, the track meanders through lush coastal forest before dropping back to sea level to Bark Bay.
- Enjoy a freshly made lunch at Bark Bay packed with nutrition before being picked up by the water taxi.
- Relax on-board the boat and enjoy the coastal view of the area you have just walked.
- Upon reaching Observation Beach meet the kayak guide.
- Take in all the highlights of the southern Abel Tasman, experience up close the beautiful Astrolabe Islands.
- If conditions permit, kayak-sail back into Marahau on the afternoon sea breeze.
- Top quality double kayak
- Buoyancy vest
- Paddle and a jacket
- Spray skirt
- Dry bags for cameras
At 8:15 am, it all begins with a smooth check-in process, where you'll have the pleasure of meeting your friendly and knowledgeable guide. As you get acquainted, your guide will ensure you're well-equipped for the day's adventures by providing you with a delicious lunch and a detailed map for your morning walk. At 8:30 am, brace yourself for a scenic Water Taxi ride to the picturesque Torrent Bay, setting the perfect tone for the day ahead. The real trek begins at 9:15 am as you set foot on an invigorating walk from Torrent Bay to Bark Bay, an approximately 2.5-hour journey covering 7.7 kilometers of awe-inspiring landscapes.
By 12:45 pm, you'll board the Water Taxi again, this time heading to the serene Watering Cove, where excitement awaits as you rendezvous with your guide at Observation Beach at 1:00 pm. There, you'll receive a thorough kayak briefing, ensuring you're well-versed in paddling techniques and safety procedures. At 1:30 pm, you'll embark on a thrilling kayak expedition from Observation Beach, tracing your way back to Marahau. With approximately 2 hours of kayaking, interspersed with rejuvenating breaks, you'll be captivated by the beauty of the surroundings. If weather conditions permit, you might even have the chance to sail back home, adding a touch of exhilaration to an already unforgettable day.
As the clock strikes 4:00 pm, you'll find yourself back in Marahau, basking in the glow of a day filled with incredible experiences. Please note that this enchanting itinerary is tailored for summer, and while we do our best to adhere to the specified timings, the trip may occasionally run in reverse. So, get ready for a day brimming with exploration, natural wonders, and cherished memories that will last a lifetime.
Departs: Closed July & August & Christmas Day. Open 8am - 5pm in Winter & 8am - 7pm in Summer.
What to Bring:
Warm top (wool or fleece)
A change of clothes
Bus Transfer from Nelson $60 return, $30 from Motueka. Must be booked separately to kayak product.
If return transport is required from Nelson this must be included on the voucher. If it is not and you require transport it is to be paid directly to us on arrival at our base.
Please arrange pickup time directly with us or agent.
Transport from Motueka is free.