- For an activity-packed, nature-filled experience on the water, it doesn’t get much better than this!
- Join the Rock, New Zealand’s biggest houseboat, for a 22-hour overnight cruise in the Bay of Islands.
- The Rock offers a warm, homely and stable environment.
- With a capacity for 40, she’s big enough for groups but small enough to for sole travellers to hook up with like minds and make friends.
- As well as exploring one of the larger of the Bay’s 144 islands on foot, you’ll have time to gather fresh seafood for dinner, to kayak the reefs, snorkel the pristine waters, take part in beach cricket and try some night-swimming.
- Alternatively you can just sit back and enjoy the abundance of nature viewed from the Rock’s observation decks and enjoy a drink in the glorious sunset.
- The Rock’s downstairs living area is spacious complete with a bar, dining area, lounge, pool table, piano and open fire.
- Outside, the open deck is the ideal platform for onboard activities (target shooting, fishing).
- Your upstairs cabin guarantees enviable morning views and access to the upper deck.
- Dinner, breakfast and lunch are relaxed – cook up your catch of the day (if you’ve got one!) on the barbie and enjoy the good company of guests and crew.
- And later on the skipper might even pull out his guitar if you’re lucky...
- Cruising in the Bay of Islands.
- Island Walks & Exploring with a Guide.
- Night Kayaking
- All Meals - Dinner, Breakfast & Lunch
- Target Shooting.
- Relax by the Fireplace & grab a game of pool.
Day 1 : Start 5:00pm, End up to you!
Departs at 5pm, grab a drink and enjoy a 2-3hr cruise out to the islands. Give the target shooting a go as we cruise. Once on anchor in a sheltered bay we’ll do a spot of dusk fishing. A healthy snapper baked on the barbecue is a welcome addition to an already delicious buffet dinner (subject to guest’s fishing ability, of course!). Later you can choose to go night kayaking to marvel in the phosphorescence (some call it “fairy dust”) and lie back for a star-gazing session - your guide will point out the major constellations, planets and galaxies. If you’re still up for action, you can jump in the sea for a night swim before settling in for a drink by the fire.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch
Day 2 : Start 8:00am, End 3:00pm
Sunrise at sea is spectacular – you can watch it from your bed if you’re not an early bird! The breakfast bell goes at 8am. We serve a traditional kiwi breakfast and then haul anchor and get underway for an exploration of the islands. If you’re up early enough, you might even get a chance for a quick wake-up swim with the crew. Kayaking, snorkeling, gathering fresh sea food, exploring WWII remains, trekking across islands enjoying stunning vantage points and visiting ancient Maori fortifications. If conditions allow, we’ll gather mussels from the kelp-covered outer reefs to enjoy on the way home (along with the unique experience of eating sea urchins raw if you’re brave enough). You will have time to enjoy the remote beaches - perfect for a game of beach cricket or volley ball. On the homeward cruise, we’ll enjoy those mussels, freshly steamed, and watch out for the abundant marine and bird life…hopefully we’ll even see dolphins! We arrive back at Paihia wharf at approximately 3pm.
Departs: 7 days per week subject to availability.
Pickup: 5 pm (during summer daylight savings hours) and 4 pm (during winter outside daylight savings time) at Paihia Wharf Building, Marsden Rd, Paihia, Bay of Islands, New Zealand.
Return: 3 pm the following day (during summer daylight savings time) and 2 pm (during winter outside daylight savings time).
We depart from the Paihia Wharf on Marsden Rd in Paihia. This is a 2 minute walk from the bus drop off outside the Maritime Building. We generally depart on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday at 5pm and return at 3pm during the summer and at least once a week during the winter departing at 4pm and returning the following day at 2pm. Please ring to confirm departure dates as they may change depending on demand. During the summer we recommend booking in advance to avoid disappointment.
What to Bring:
Nibbles and snacks.
Warm jacket (NZ weather can change quickly).
Camera (limited charging is available on board).
Bring just an overnight bag (we have limited space onboard).
Light footwear or sandals are fine (please NO hiking boots).
Cash or card (we have EFTPOS)
Water bottle - you can refill onboard as much as you like.
$10 for wetsuit hire
$10 for Towel Hire